News | Summit Trip Reports | Partners | Low Point Reports | Dogs
Summary Topics: E-News Archive | Club News | Accidents | Obituaries | Books | Advisories | Site News

Go to Forum Home  

Swiss Winner of Yachting Race Plans to Take America's Cup Up Matterhorn

March 2 2003 at 8:47 AM
roger  (no login)

AUCKLAND, New Zealand
Now that Alinghi has become the first European entry to win the America's Cup, founder Ernesto Bertarelli has vowed he'll take the Auld Mug to the top of the Matterhorn, the most famous peak in the Swiss Alps.
That's brave talk for a fellow who doesn't know much about climbing. In fact, Bertarelli has already fobbed the job off on Alinghi's in-house expert on mountaineering, but even the expert doesn't know if it actually can be done.
"He asked me and I said yes because when Ernesto asks me to do something I usually try to say yes," said Curtis Blewett, bowman on the Cup boat and the only crewman aboard who has seen the world from the top of the 4,478-meter mountain. "But I've never even picked up the Cup, so I don't know how heavy it is. It looks pretty heavy."
Cup rules require crewmen to hold residency in the country they represent, so when Blewett took the job with Alinghi he had to move to Switzerland. That opened a lot of climbing opportunities but the one he was keenest to seize on was the Matterhorn.
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A23354-2003Mar1.html

Respond to this message   
Responses

Copyright © 1999-2014 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
RSS Feed For This Forum
Privacy Statement | Network54 Terms and Conditions