News | Summit Trip Reports | Partners | Low Point Reports | Dogs
Summary Topics: E-News Archive | Club News | Accidents | Obituaries | Books | Advisories | Site News

Go to Forum Home  

Robert McFarlane: Mountains of the Mind

August 10 2003 at 12:32 PM
roger  (no login)

Response to Climbing Author Interviews and Book Reviews

When Robert Macfarlane sought an answer to roughly the same question, he wrote a book. Mountains of the Mind, which he will be talking about at the Edinburgh International Book Festival,
He contests the notion that mountains automatically lend themselves to good writing. “They lend themselves to very good photographs,” he says. “I think it’s easy to write incredibly badly about mountains. For me, there isn’t enough said about their beauty, their wonder. I wanted to do justice to that without resorting to cliche.
“In North America there’s an amazing tradition of writing about the landscape and the outdoors, and I think it’s something we’re lacking in this country.
There are some fascinating facts, too. That Everest “only” became the world’s highest mountain 200,000 years ago; that in a million years it will be twice as high as it is now; that 400 million years ago a Himalayan-sized range of mountains existed in Scotland, and that now “only the eroded stubs remain”.
http://www.sundayherald.com/35879

Mountains of the Mind

Respond to this message   
 Copyright © 1999-2014 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
RSS Feed For This Forum
Privacy Statement | Network54 Terms and Conditions