News | Summit Trip Reports | Partners | Low Point Reports | Dogs
Summary Topics: E-News Archive | Club News | Accidents | Obituaries | Books | Advisories | Site News

Go to Forum Home  

Safety Equipment Fails in Pembrokeshire, Britain, Fatal Fall

October 31 2003 at 4:18 PM
roger  (no login)

Response to October 2003 Accidents/Rescues

A ROCK climber fell to his death after his safety equipment came loose from cliffs.
Marvin Royce, 39, of Great Walton, Chelmsford, plunged from the cliff face at St Govans in Pembrokeshire and landed in front of his horrified climbing partner.
Mr Royce was a member of the Marylebone Mountaineering Club of London.
Mr Atkins said his partner had been leading them up the cliff "using two safety ropes in the classic British style".
Mr Royce had been driving wedges into cracks in the rock before pausing for a brief rest as he approached an overhang.
"Marvin was taking it slowly and carefully when without warning he suddenly fell backwards," said Mr Atkins.
The climber's safety ropes failed to arrest his fall and he landed on his back in front of his partner.
"I still do not fully understand what happened," said Mr Atkins. "The fact the nuts (wedges) came out of the rock is not that unusual but it was the number that came out which was shocking.
"I heard a twing, twing, twing as the pieces came out. I felt totally powerless."
http://icwales.icnetwork.co.uk/0100news/0200wales/content_objectid=13574887_method=full_siteid=50082_headline=-Rock-climber-plunged-to-death-when-safety-gearcame-loose-name_page.html

Respond to this message   
 Copyright © 1999-2014 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
RSS Feed For This Forum
Privacy Statement | Network54 Terms and Conditions