News | Summit Trip Reports | Partners | Low Point Reports | Dogs
Summary Topics: E-News Archive | Club News | Accidents | Obituaries | Books | Advisories | Site News

Go to Forum Home  

Why not Green River approach?

January 16 2004 at 4:15 PM
Jack Bennett  (no login)

Response to wyoming

I have long been extoling the Green River approach to Gannett, but no one seems to notice! It is the shortest (35 miles round-trip, 17-1/2 each way), and involves a total el. gain of only 6800 ft (up & down, all gains considered). It is also possibly the least technical route with few objective hazards. It is a lovely with beautiful lakes & waterfalls. It is being used by no one. I climbed this route in 1989, and I thought it was easier that the std. approach through Titcomb Basin (which I did 5 years earlier).
OK - on the down side it involves a crossing of the Green River, which could be difficult at high water in the early season (but no problem in August). There are no maintained trails for the last 6 miles, and the bushwack up Tourist Creek is really hard for about 1 mile. But ohe final 200 ft below the summit involves a moderate rock climb. We never took the rope off our shoulder.
A complete description of this route is given on page 29 of the Newsletter, 2nd Quarter, 2002. If you want further information drop me an email.

Respond to this message   
Responses

Copyright © 1999-2014 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
RSS Feed For This Forum
Privacy Statement | Network54 Terms and Conditions