How far is too far to drive?April 26 2004 at 9:57 PM
Mark S (Login MarkStyczynski)
To drive or to fly ... that is the question.
I just finished a four day, four state southern HPing trip (TN, NC, SC and GA)and after 2200 miles worth of driving for a couple of days worth of hiking, I've reached the conclusion that I've just about reached my tolenance level for time spent in a car. Not a complaint at all ... I had a great time and couldn't have asked for better weather. Also, I was very interested to read of James Wedekind's and Brian Kurz's 14 state, 5750 mile oddysey in the latest Apex to Zenith. However, from here on out, I'm thinking that it is just way more time efficient to fly the friendly skies and rent a car for the types of four or five state swings that I seem to enjoy. Overall, when you factor in rising gas prices and wear and tear on the personally owned vehicle, I don't even think you save that much money by driving on long distance trips.
I realize everyone has a different perspective on this game ... some take long trips and others pick off one state at a time as opportunities arise. Just looking for your viewpoints.
- Drive vs. fly - surgent on Apr 26, 2004
- Time, not Distance... - Alan Ritter on Apr 26, 2004
- all things being equal... (and Hey Alan) - markv on Apr 27, 2004
- Between the HPs - Jack on May 3, 2004
- Fly - Steve Gruhn on May 3, 2004
- Other factors - Olivier Kozlowski on May 4, 2004
- No One Good Answer - Jim Sutton on May 4, 2004
- Highpoint in style - Al E on May 4, 2004
- drove 8000 miles - leonard on Dec 29, 2005