News | Summit Trip Reports | Partners | Low Point Reports | Dogs
Summary Topics: E-News Archive | Club News | Accidents | Obituaries | Books | Advisories | Site News

Go to Forum Home  

How far is too far to drive?

April 26 2004 at 9:57 PM

Mark S  (Login MarkStyczynski)

To drive or to fly ... that is the question.

I just finished a four day, four state southern HPing trip (TN, NC, SC and GA)and after 2200 miles worth of driving for a couple of days worth of hiking, I've reached the conclusion that I've just about reached my tolenance level for time spent in a car. Not a complaint at all ... I had a great time and couldn't have asked for better weather. Also, I was very interested to read of James Wedekind's and Brian Kurz's 14 state, 5750 mile oddysey in the latest Apex to Zenith. However, from here on out, I'm thinking that it is just way more time efficient to fly the friendly skies and rent a car for the types of four or five state swings that I seem to enjoy. Overall, when you factor in rising gas prices and wear and tear on the personally owned vehicle, I don't even think you save that much money by driving on long distance trips.

I realize everyone has a different perspective on this game ... some take long trips and others pick off one state at a time as opportunities arise. Just looking for your viewpoints.

Respond to this message   
Responses

Copyright © 1999-2014 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
RSS Feed For This Forum
Privacy Statement | Network54 Terms and Conditions