News | Summit Trip Reports | Partners | Low Point Reports | Dogs
Summary Topics: E-News Archive | Club News | Accidents | Obituaries | Books | Advisories | Site News

Go to Forum Home  

Skiier Survives 700 Slide on Mount Shuksan in Washington

May 25 2004 at 4:39 PM
king5  (Login dipper)
Forum Owner

Response to May Accident Reports

Don Beavon looks a little worse for wear, but given what he went through, the fact that he's moving at all is just short of a miracle.
He and a friend used skis to climb Mount Shuksan last Wednesday, and were skiing down when the snow gave way beneath him.
"I remember falling. I remember seeing terrain going by really fast and wondering when it was going to be over," Beavon recalled Monday.
His partner, Nevada Waters managed to descend to where his partner lay stunned, stabilize him on a nearby ledge and then ski down to the trailhead, where he summoned authorities.
"I hated to leave him on the mountain," Waters said. "He had suffered a head injury that impaired his consciousness, but with his back so badly hurt, he couldn't possibly have made it down on his own. I stabilized him as best I could, bundled him in my jacket and took off to get help."
Beavon admits its ironic that after summiting Everest, Rainier, and other notable peaks around the world, it was local mount Shuksan that almost killed him.
It makes no sense. A guy falls 30 feet, on Rainier, hits his head and dies and another guy falls 700 feet and survives.
http://www.king5.com/localnews/stories/NW_052404WABclimberhurtJK.1f48f6acd.html

Respond to this message   
 Copyright © 1999-2014 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
RSS Feed For This Forum
Privacy Statement | Network54 Terms and Conditions