News | Summit Trip Reports | Partners | Low Point Reports | Dogs
Summary Topics: E-News Archive | Club News | Accidents | Obituaries | Books | Advisories | Site News

Go to Forum Home  

Man Eats Birds and Insects and Drinks Uring to Survive Lost in Arizona Desert

July 20 2004 at 12:52 PM
roger  (Login dipper)
Forum Owner

Response to July 2004 Accidents/Rescues

Tolleson man who was lost in the desert for 36 hours is now recovering from an ordeal that forced him to eat birds and insects to survive.

Ruben Jimenez, 28, was reported missing by his sister Thursday night when he failed to come back from a morning hike in the southwest Valley.

After hours of walking in the desert with only a jug of water, some soda and crackers, Jimenez made his way to a home near 115th and Southern avenues Friday night.

Jimenez was dehydrated and disoriented when he was found and is now recovering at home. He suffered several cuts.

"It's unbelievable, but I made it and I'm alive," he said Saturday from his home. "I was thinking I was going to die, but I'm OK."

Jimenez decided to go out for one last trek with his three dogs before moving to New Mexico. His wife and two small children were already in the state, but flew back Friday.

After six hours of walking, Jimenez tried to take a shortcut and got lost. He said he panicked about 7 p.m. when he ran out of water. To survive the high temperatures, he drank from dirty puddles left behind from the recent monsoon storm and his own urine, he said. He also ate birds and insects.

"At one point, I said, 'That's it, God, take me. I want to die.' "

As for the dogs, one returned Thursday; the others are missing.

It was difficult for the helicopters to find Jimenez once he followed the river because of the dense salt cedar brush, said Sgt. Paul Chagolla of the Maricopa County Sheriff's Office.

But eventually, Jimenez found help several miles from the search-and-rescue command post, he said.

"The only reason this individual survived is that he's physically fit," Chagolla said.

http://www.azcentral.com/arizonarepublic/local/articles/0718hikerfollowup18.html

Respond to this message   
 Copyright © 1999-2014 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
RSS Feed For This Forum
Privacy Statement | Network54 Terms and Conditions