News | Summit Trip Reports | Partners | Low Point Reports | Dogs
Summary Topics: E-News Archive | Club News | Accidents | Obituaries | Books | Advisories | Site News

Go to Forum Home  

Spanish Climber Fatality on Gasherbrum-I

July 31 2004 at 12:54 AM
roger  (Login dipper)
Owner

Response to July 2004 Accidents/Rescues

SKARDU: A Spanish climber has died while descending 8,068 meter Gasherbrum-I in the mighty Karakoram ranges, Deputy Commissioner Skardu, Sajid Baloch confirmed here Thursday.
Jose Antonio Anton Lopez, 30, was returning from the summit of Gasherbrum-I on Sunday when he slipped and fell 700 meter to his death from 7,400 meters, Sajid told 'Pakistan Times'.
"We got the news of his death three days after the incident. His body has gone deep into the crevasse which needs an uphill task to be retrieved," the DC added.
Jose Antonio was a member of nine-men Spanish team. He is the fifth climber to die on Pakistan's mountains this year.
A German died while descending Nanga Parbat (8125 metres), the country's second highest peak, earlier this month and in early June three South Korean climbers on K2 were killed by an avalanche at 6,600 meters.
Gasherbrum-I is the world's 11th highest mountain and Pakistan's number three peak.
http://www.pakistantimes.net/2004/07/30/sports4.htm

Respond to this message   
Find more forums on Mountain RangesCreate your own forum at Network54
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
RSS Feed For This Forum
Privacy Statement | Network54 Terms and Conditions