The Great Smoky Mountains National Park has recorded its first known snakebite of the year.
A park spokeswoman says a 12-year-old Indiana boy picked up a copperhead as his family hiked along Abrams Falls Trail in Cades Cove. The venomous snake bit his right thumb.
Rangers sent the boy to a Maryville hospital after his family brought him to a ranger station for aid.
National Park Service spokeswoman Nancy Gray says the boy's hand was twice its normal size and there was a dark discoloration around the bite.
His name and condition weren't available.
There were about five recorded snake bites in the park last year.