News | Summit Trip Reports | Partners | Low Point Reports | Dogs
Summary Topics: E-News Archive | Club News | Accidents | Obituaries | Books | Advisories | Site News

Go to Forum Home  

Original Member of Bumblies Dies During Idaho State University Climbing Contest

September 21 2004 at 6:37 PM
roger  (Login dipper)
Forum Owner

Response to September 2004 Accidents/Rescues

Longtime Pocatello rock climber Terry Kranning died Sunday morning at Portneuf Medical Center after he fell during the Idaho State University Pocatello Pump rock climbing competition.

At 57, Kranning was an experienced climber and had competed in the Pump for at least 10 years. He was what a close friend and fellow climber Justin Dayley called the keystone in Pocatello's tight-knit rock-climbing community, the Bumblies.
Kranning was a sponsor of the Pump. Every year, he donated three handmade knives to be given away as prizes. Kranning was a world-renowned knife crafter who was passionate about climbing, organizers said.

The Pocatello Pump annually awards a $500 ISU Climber's Scholarship to two students. Organizers and family members have agreed to name the climbing scholarships in Kranning's honor.
The accident Sunday morning was the first major accident in the Pocatello Pump's 23-year history.
"I think the thing I'll miss most is that I have never seen someone who gave so willingly and was so thoughtful of everyone else,"Dayley said. "I have never met a person like him, who just wanted to make sure everyone else was taken care of."
"The Bumblies climbing group is the epitome of a community. They, just like Terry, are so accepting of everybody, no matter what you look like, what your job is or what your religion is,"Joyce said. "The common thread that holds them all together is climbing."

The Bumblies got their name about seven years ago from the climbers at City of Rocks, one of southeastern Idaho's favorite climbing areas. They saw the same group of people from Pocatello always climbing the Bumblie Wall. Soon, that's what they were known as - the Bumblies.
Kranning was one of the original Bumblies and was probably the most active one in the group, said Vern Phinney, Kranning's good friend and fellow Bumblie.

"The Bumblies consider themselves family,"he said. "The Bumblies, the people he climbed with, the people that knew him, will all miss Terry."
http://www.journalnet.com/articles/2004/09/21/news/local/news02.txt

Respond to this message   
 Copyright © 1999-2014 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
RSS Feed For This Forum
Privacy Statement | Network54 Terms and Conditions