News | Summit Trip Reports | Partners | Low Point Reports | Dogs
Summary Topics: E-News Archive | Club News | Accidents | Obituaries | Books | Advisories | Site News

Go to Forum Home  

Yes on camping higher on Rainier

March 10 2005 at 6:40 PM
  (Login Snowslogger)

Response to High camp on Rainier

Yes, people often camp around 11,000 feet on the Emmons Glacier route. As there are limits on how many people can camp at Camp Schurman you may have to. When I climbed the Emmons, due to the permit issue we ended up camping fairly low the first day (maybe 7,000 feet), stayed at around 11,000 feet on the glacier the second night, then summited and hiked out the next. This worked out very well since there's about 10,000 feet of elevation gain on the route, and it puts you in pretty good shape for summit day (which is still long). Watch out for crevasses on the Inter Glacier below Camp Schurman also. Similarly, on the Dissapointment Cleaver route, I prefer to go past Camp Muir and camp around 11,000 feet at Ingraham Flats (Ingraham Glacier). Puts you in good summit position. As we are having almost no winter here in the Northwest, probably earlier in the year will be better than later. For Hood, however, unless someone really wants to, I'm not sure it's worth bringing up the extra camping stuff.

Respond to this message   
Responses

Copyright © 1999-2014 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
RSS Feed For This Forum
Privacy Statement | Network54 Terms and Conditions