News | Summit Trip Reports | Partners | Low Point Reports | Dogs
Summary Topics: E-News Archive | Club News | Accidents | Obituaries | Books | Advisories | Site News

Go to Forum Home  

Congratulations on a Job Well Done

May 26 2005 at 1:39 PM

Alan Ritter  (Login jaritter)

Response to Kyle Cummings Eagle Project Transforms Indiana’s Hoosier Hill

As an Eagle Scout and now Scoutmaster myself, I congratulate Kyle on the completion of a worthy project. We ascended the summit of Indiana quite a few years back, and it was in pretty sad shape even before the stile was vandalized. (See my 1999 trip report for photos of what it looked like then.)

My son, Nathan (now 16 and a good 5" taller than I am), has his crew lined up to finish his own Eagle project (a recycling center at a nearby state park) this weekend, so we have first-hand knowledge of the planning and effort that goes into setting up an Eagle project. For those of y'all not connected with Scouts, the Eagle candidate functions primarily as the general contractor, so the project is a leadership exercise for him and is intended to give the boy the opportunity and responsibility for planning a group project, getting financial support to purchase materials or have them donated and then leading a crew of volunteers to execute the project.

Again, congratulations to Kyle!

Respond to this message   
 Copyright © 1999-2014 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
RSS Feed For This Forum
Privacy Statement | Network54 Terms and Conditions