News | Summit Trip Reports | Partners | Low Point Reports | Dogs
Summary Topics: E-News Archive | Club News | Accidents | Obituaries | Books | Advisories | Site News

Go to Forum Home  

Whitney Questions

June 9 2005 at 10:31 AM
Jack  (Login cyberfool)

I'm looking at doing Whitney over 2 days in the first week of Sept. There are 2 campsites between Whitney Portal & the summit labeled on the map.

1. I would prefer to not take a full tent, but just a fly to keep the rain off. Will the bugs be a problem at that elevation during that week?

2. I would prefer to stash my sleeping bag, etc just above the upper campsite, off the trail and preferably out of site of the trail. Is that feasable? Will there be enough large boulders, etc that would allow for a descrete placement of the equipment for the day.

3. Has anyone heard of problems with missing/stolen equipment from this area? I suppose that people that do Whitney over 2+ days would prefer to not carry their overnight gear to the summit. So some people must leave gear.

Note that I will keep any food, cooking gear and other odor generating equipment with me. I realize that the bears & possibly smaller animals would be attracted to stashed food and such.

4. What should I expect with the stream crossings? Should I bring stream crossing shoes? Are they bridged? Can they be crossed with rock-hopping that time of the year?

Thanks,

Jack

Respond to this message   
Responses

Copyright © 1999-2014 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
RSS Feed For This Forum
Privacy Statement | Network54 Terms and Conditions