News | Summit Trip Reports | Partners | Low Point Reports | Dogs
Summary Topics: E-News Archive | Club News | Accidents | Obituaries | Books | Advisories | Site News

Go to Forum Home  

scenic route

July 1 2005 at 11:49 PM
patrick craft  (Login pcraft)

Response to Mt. Mitchell--Blue Ridge Parkway Closure

You really took the scenic route. You almost circumnavigated the mountain. I have never driven that route because its way out of the way. The 2 roads from the South Toe River valley (Neals Creek and South Toe) are currently closed. They split short of the campground. Neals Creek goes straight up to the parkway and should be open in July. South Toe passes by campground, also going up to parkway, and is not scheduled to open until next summer. (The parkway south of NC 80 opened today which is easier then the dirt roads listed above.)

The parkway up on Humpback Mt/Chestoa View (just south of US 221) is closed until next spring at earliest. It must have really washed out, though the mountain is pretty steep heading up from 221 to Chestoa View. From north or west of mountain I suggest going to Asheville, out US 70 by the VA, to parkway then north to the Craggies and Mitchell. More scenic, but maybe more time is US19/19E to NC 80 to parkway and south to Mitchell. I was up a few weeks ago and it took about 45' from US 70 to SP entrance.

Respond to this message   
Responses

Copyright © 1999-2014 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
RSS Feed For This Forum
Privacy Statement | Network54 Terms and Conditions