News | Summit Trip Reports | Partners | Low Point Reports | Dogs
Summary Topics: E-News Archive | Club News | Accidents | Obituaries | Books | Advisories | Site News

Go to Forum Home  

Kings peak report

July 14 2005 at 6:12 PM
  (Login climb14ers)

I just returned from climbing Kings peak and West Gunsight peak in the Uintas. The snow is burning off fast and I would not let that scare you off. We did have to negotiate some snow, but it was not a problem. We glissaded down from the ridge to save some time. The worst part was the incredible amount of mosquitoes up there this year. I have done Kings 5 times since 97 and this was the worst year by far for bugs. We had to apply deet constantly to keep them at bay. Also, Painter basin is totally soggy, so expect a lot of mud. We avoided it by climbing up and over West Gunsight peak and we avoided it on the descent too, by glissading down some snow on the back side of West Gunsight. We were also surprised at the lack of people on the mountain. We only ran into two other groups in three days and one night we were the only people camped at Dollar Lake. That actually made the trip very enjoyable.

Respond to this message   
Responses

Copyright © 1999-2014 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
RSS Feed For This Forum
Privacy Statement | Network54 Terms and Conditions