News | Summit Trip Reports | Partners | Low Point Reports | Dogs
Summary Topics: E-News Archive | Club News | Accidents | Obituaries | Books | Advisories | Site News

Go to Forum Home  

Thoughts on Wisconsin

August 1 2005 at 3:28 PM
Jim Sutton  (Login JimSutton)

Response to Good Reasons, Logistics

Might I suggest Wisconsin as an alternative to Michigan? Seems like MI (the original "convention") might better be reserved for a special date, such as the 25th? (I guess that might be out of rotation, but so what?)

Wisconsin has not been done, and summers there are just marvelous (in my humble opinion). I did a quick check on the internet and found lots of lodging in Tomahawk, about 22 miles east of Timms, and a large resort, "The Waters at Minocqua" (about 20 miles north of Tomahawk), which has a huge, fully-enclosed outdoor tent for convention purposes (and a water park for the kids in all of us!). There may be others but I didn't look in detail. Plenty of hiking trails, campgrounds, fishing resorts, etc., all over that area. Great canoeing on the Wolf and Oconto rivers. And, obviously, plenty of county high points in any direction you choose.

I know there is also a cheese factory (with tours) near Timms Hill. And, of course, for those who are interested in other Wisconsin specialties, the famous Point Brewery is only about 45 minutes away in Stevens Point, and the even more famous Leinenkugel's Brewery is two hours away in Chippewa Falls. There are also some local wineries.

And for those of you who seek the Valhalla of Football, LAMBEAU FIELD and the Green Bay Packers Hall of Fame is only about two hours away in Green Bay, which is also the gateway to beautiful Door County, the Cape Cod of the Great Lakes.

I don't know the Brombergs, but I would be happy to help out in hosting a Wisconsin convention. I think it would be a great event. So vote in the survey, and bring your vote to the convention. See ya. JES

PS: I'll also be happy to interpret Wisconsinese for dose o' you what don' know what a "bubbler" is, or dat "boat" is a two-syllable word, and dat ya use it to go after dem big norderns, en so, eh?...

Respond to this message   
 Copyright © 1999-2014 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
RSS Feed For This Forum
Privacy Statement | Network54 Terms and Conditions