News | Summit Trip Reports | Partners | Low Point Reports | Dogs
Summary Topics: E-News Archive | Club News | Accidents | Obituaries | Books | Advisories | Site News

Go to Forum Home  

many options

August 5 2005 at 10:40 AM
patrick craft  (Login patrickcraft)

Response to Hard and Steep in the South

SE hills are full of steep trails. Off the top of my head the steepest in the SE are in Linville Gorge, all steep; Sandy Flats, Cabin way steep, Devils Hole and Pinch In slightly less.

Flint Mill or other trails up Holsten Mt (Tenn) on south side of S Holsten lake (I used some of these for Rainier warmups)

AT from Hughes Gap to Cloudland hotel site, I think 2500 feet in 2.8 miles.

Big Butt trail from Cane River Gap to ridge, something like 2000 in a little over 2 miles. This is on NF land west of Blue Ridge Parkway near Mt Mitchell.

Grandfather.

Black Mt Crest trail from Mt Mitchell to Celo Knob. Imagine Grandfather, only longer.

AT from Nantahala river to Cheah Bald, old trail wicked steep.

Albert Mt in Southern Nantahala Wilderness, short but steep.

AT from Ga line at Bly Gap up Courthouse Bald.

For bushwhack get a topo and head up. Many steep place around. Try Hyatt Ridge in Smokies from Balsam Mt trail to McGee Springs. 4.5 miles, took me 9+ hours (and that was with finding old really overgrown trail spots in areas.) Very thick, hardest bushwhack I've done. Remotest park of park,long way from help. If something happens on that ridge, you'll have a MAJOR problem.

Respond to this message   
Responses

Copyright © 1999-2014 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
RSS Feed For This Forum
Privacy Statement | Network54 Terms and Conditions