News | Summit Trip Reports | Partners | Low Point Reports | Dogs
Summary Topics: E-News Archive | Club News | Accidents | Obituaries | Books | Advisories | Site News

Go to Forum Home  

Thanks & Follow-up Q's

August 7 2005 at 12:00 AM
Jack S  (Login cyberfool)

Response to Some answers

Thanks for everyone's help. After thinking about it, I wanted to be sure of 2 more things.

1) I have my light & fast hiking shoes that are great for relatively smooth treadways (trailbeds) & I have some real tough boots for rocky, twisty walking on rough trails or off-trail. My preference would be the lighter boots, but would folks recommend the heavier ones for Whitney? For instance, I'm using the heavier ones on Boundary a few days prior.

2) Since I am planning to do almost the whole ascent in the dark, is the trail relatively safe to do that? I'm concerned about 2 issues w/ regards to this question:

a) Is the trail easy to follow by headlamp? (I will also have at least 1 flashlight too)

b) Does walking on the trail put one at the edge of serious drops that one misstep could lead to disaster. If the answers are different for the post-ridge portion vs the approach & switchbacks, let me know that 'cause I could delay at the ridge for first light.

I've seen pics of the 99 switchbacks, which seem smooth & very easy to follow with minimal lighting (heck, or blind w/ flip-flops). But I don't have a good sense of the lower trail portion.

3) This is just a curiosity thing (and I might later post it on the thread for backcountry injuries) Does anyone know what time the scouts were hit by lightning near Whitney? Tragic in any case, but "inquiring minds want to know".

Thanks,

Jack S.

Respond to this message   
Responses

Copyright © 1999-2014 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
RSS Feed For This Forum
Privacy Statement | Network54 Terms and Conditions