News | Summit Trip Reports | Partners | Low Point Reports | Dogs
Summary Topics: E-News Archive | Club News | Accidents | Obituaries | Books | Advisories | Site News

Go to Forum Home  

Spruce Knob closed?

September 7 2005 at 2:19 AM
JulieS  (Login JulieS53)

Hi all. Just returned from a quick east coast trip (timed to coincide with the convention even though we couldn't make the actual convention) and managed to get 7 hp's in 6 days. Not a record by any means but pretty good for us since we highpoint with 3 kids.

Our one disappointment was W. Virginia. We had hoped to get it on our way home and went 2 hours out of way to find ourselves facing a road closed sign about 10 miles from the highpoint. There was a logging truck coming down with some not too friendly guys that informed us we needed to basically head back to where-ever we came from. Not being familiar with the area and not having any directions other than those from Don Holmes book, we ended up just turning for home. We ran across someone else trying to make it to the hp that also seemed surprised to find it inaccessible (at least from that direction).

I guess my question is 3-fold. Why is the road closed? How long is it closed? Is this a periodic thing? And was there another way in? O.K. I realize that was 4 questions.

I tend to be an glass half-full kinda person and at least this hp is in a pretty area that I won't mind returning to at some point. I have to admit, it was pretty frustrating at the time though...

JulieS
LaGrange, IN

Respond to this message   
Responses

Copyright © 1999-2014 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
RSS Feed For This Forum
Privacy Statement | Network54 Terms and Conditions