Here's some POSITIVE suggestionsSeptember 16 2005 at 9:29 AM
|Dick (Login Highpointingguy)|
Response to New Hampshire 2005 - Ants vs Friends
In response to your post, here's some positive suggestions for Wisconsin.
1. Hold the banquet in a hall that accomodates more than 300 people. I think those Urbansky guys said they had a hall in Ohio that held at least 400. The club is growing, so a hall with 275 capacity probably won't be enough.
2. Hold the events closer than 40 miles from the high point. I think Don Holmes said his hall was 40 miles away. That's not acceptable. Maybe he should have put a little more effort into finding someplace closer.
3. Cut out that dinner raffle. I'd like to enjoy my dinner without having to listen to Don Holmes calling out names for an hour. You can still have door prizes. Just post the winning numbers next to the prizes and let the members check them out while they're waiting to be called for dinner.
4. For those highpointers who drink, keep the cash bar prices reasonable. I was told that the Washington konvention had $1.00 beers. I think the NH konvention prices for beer were $4.00. The only thing that rises that fast in price is gasoline.
5. Have some discussion among the members after the nominations for the future konvention. Probably the most important thing we do at the konvention, besides meeting our friends, is vote on the future konvention site. Having no discussion among the members and then doing a show of hands vote is beyond me. Have some discussion and then vote on a pre-printed ballot.
6. Keep the price of the konvention reasonable. A lot of us highpointers thought $60.00 was a lot of money.
7. What's this Louisiana run-off system in konvention votes? It didn't make a difference this year, but where in the by-laws of the club does it say you have to have a majority vote. Maybe you should talk to a lawyer about this. I think there's a few in the club.
8. Have the konvention run by someone who's at least been to one konvention. I didn't attend the 2003 konvention, but I've heard that that was one of the best organized konventions ever. Whoever organized that must have been at a few konventions in the past.
9. Print name tags that are readily changeable as to the number of highpoints. A lot of people accumulate a highpoint or two between the time they register and get to the konvention. Also, if you use the type at this konvention, put the name on both sides. All the badges kept getting turned around, so I had no idea who I was talking to.
I hope I was more positive this time.