News | Summit Trip Reports | Partners | Low Point Reports | Dogs
Summary Topics: E-News Archive | Club News | Accidents | Obituaries | Books | Advisories | Site News

Go to Forum Home  

Boundary Peak -- Quicksand!!

September 19 2005 at 4:49 PM
  (Login cyberfool)

I hiked up Boundary Peak Sept 4th 2005. I used the Trail Canyon trailhead and was able to get all the way to the trailhead in a Chevy Malibu rental. I used the steeper, more direct hiking route, rather than climbing to the pass, then more ridge walking.

I want to say a couple of things about this trip:

1) I was using the Don Holmes directions, which were mostly fine. However there was one intersection that looked ambigous for the return. Fortunately it was well lighted when I drove in and I noted the mileage and direction I turned. Then I noted the mileage when I got to the trailhead and did the math determined what the mileage should be when I got to that intersection when I was leaving. Sure enough, the mileage came up and I would have guessed the wrong way had I not made careful note of it.

2) QUICKSAND!!!!

As I was hiking along the lower portion of the route, following the river, I cam to some springs. It was a fair amount of water bubbling from the bottom of a bank into a swampy area near the stream. The immeadiate area around the spring was very sandy.

There are some springs along the stream indicated on the current USGS 7.5 min quad for this area and this is I went to take a step on the sand but there was virtually no resistance. I put my pole out to support myself but it too went right through the sand. I managed to get my balance back on to my other foot. I climbed up a steep bank to my left to get around the quicksand.

They say you can float in quicksand, but I didn't want to bother finding out.

It didn't look special, it just looked like some wet sand. I had heard of quicksand when I was a kid, but I had never seen it. I don't know if that spot is always like that or is more transient. Beware!! I don't know if it was 6 inches or 6 feet deep. It was also difficult to gauge the size of the surface of the quicksand. I wasn't in a mood to hang around and find out.

~~~

I also "climbed" the TX, KS & NM highpoints on the trip as well, but I'll leave that for a more formal trip report. The important thing is watch out for quicksand.

Jack S.

Respond to this message   
Responses

Copyright © 1999-2014 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
RSS Feed For This Forum
Privacy Statement | Network54 Terms and Conditions