News | Summit Trip Reports | Partners | Low Point Reports | Dogs
Summary Topics: E-News Archive | Club News | Accidents | Obituaries | Books | Advisories | Site News

Go to Forum Home  

Not a criticism, just an observation

November 30 2005 at 6:10 PM

Mark S  (Login MarkStyczynski)

Response to Cave Dog stymied by conditions

After wathcing the National Media saturation of Keizer's completion of the Duofold 50 today (Sportscenter Plays of the Day, USA Today, all local papers in my area), I must say I have some conflicting feelings.

On one hand, it is immensely cool that Keizer is receiving the recognition that he deserves ... he has been doing some really ORIGINAL things for several years now. Just look at the history of this thread.

Conversely, I can't help but think of the 300 or so folks that thru-hike the Appalachian Trail every year (600 more hiking miles than the Duofold 50) in complete annonymity while carrying their lives on their backs. No support teams, no corporate sponsorship, no OLN specials. I suppose it has something to do with the spirit of amatuerism that connects many outdoor-types but was certainly lacking in this venture. One thing is for sure ... this was certainly the most celebrated climb of the kiddy Mount Jo in history.

Anyone else want to ring in with observations?

Respond to this message   
Responses

Copyright © 1999-2014 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
RSS Feed For This Forum
Privacy Statement | Network54 Terms and Conditions