News | Summit Trip Reports | Partners | Low Point Reports | Dogs
Summary Topics: E-News Archive | Club News | Accidents | Obituaries | Books | Advisories | Site News

Go to Forum Home  

the chase is 90% of the fun!

March 8 2006 at 1:16 PM
surgent  (Login surgent)

Response to Re: time to repeat my manifesto, i guess

I've been off the state HP wagon since 2003, and have only 3 new ones since 2001. In my case I just need the ones that are very far away and require lots of time and money to get there.

However, I have learned to appreciate that most of the fun of the chase is the chase itself. I've done some revisits with my wife in the meantime. I am in no hurry, really. When I submit my story to A2Z after I've done my lower-48, I'll happily state "This has taken me 20+ years ... "

I applaud those who do them all in 50 days or less, but personally, would not want any part of that. That kid who recently did them all in record time, in my opinion (and my opinion only, let me stress) completely missed the point of the hobby. Driving all night - summitting at night - etc - not for me. I like the views and the lingering around afterwards to enjoy the glow. The best part of summitting Hood for me in 1997? Drinking beer with my climbing mate at Timberline Lodge afterwards that afternoon, staring up at the mighty mountain and admiring it, knowing that 9 hours earlier we stood on the summit. An unreal, exhilirating feeling. I'd rather do that than sleep in a fetal position in a vehicle while someone drives me to Idaho for another ascent that evening.

Respond to this message   
Responses

Copyright © 1999-2014 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
RSS Feed For This Forum
Privacy Statement | Network54 Terms and Conditions