News | Summit Trip Reports | Partners | Low Point Reports | Dogs
Summary Topics: E-News Archive | Club News | Accidents | Obituaries | Books | Advisories | Site News

Go to Forum Home  

"Alternate" highpoint for IL

April 5 2006 at 10:49 AM
Zak  (Login zkmiller)

This subject has probably been brought up in the past: The owners of the IL hp and OH hp have been 'difficult' (to use a politically correct term; btw OH is closed on Sundays). So: I would submit that the highpoint of a state is THE HIGHEST POINT, manmade or natural! We highpointers do not condone trespassing; so to heck with the Wuebbels(sp?) in IL; because the Sears Tower Skydeck is OVER 714 FEET higher in elevation than their sorry little hill in NW BFE Illinois...for only $11.95, not only do you get the highpoint of IL, but an incredible view, close lodging, good food, and a great time in Chicago...

Of course, the manmade highpoint would be an "alternate". If you hit the natural one, then fine; but remember, this 'sport' is about enjoying oneself and that will include pristine natural areas as well as beautiful views of some cities (personally, I wish that Delaware had a building that was 20' or 30' taller, because the trailer park that I went to...was less than spectacular...)

There are 6 places where alternates would apply:
FL: hp elev:345' Four Seasons Hotel(Miami) building height is 789'+7' for mean land level=796' (451' difference!)
IL: Sears Tower Skydeck is taller by 714'
IN: Hoosier Hill=1257' but Chase Tower(Indianapolis)=1528' (271'difference)
LA:hp=535'; One Shell Square(New Orleans)=708'(173'difference)
OH: hp=1550'; Key Tower(Cleveland)1637' (87' difference)
Wash.DC: hp=429'; Washington Monument Observation deck:515' (86' difference)

IL & DC are measurements to the observation deck.
All of these measurements include the mean elevation of the city in their height.
If, generally, we can agree on this, then it might take a little more research on the four other buildings to determine what the highest level the public can reach in the buildings in question.

Lastly, there are a LOT more opportunities for enjoyment and entertainment in each of these cases instead of travelling to B.F.E. IL, IN, FL, OH, and even Louisiana... I've been to IN, OH, & LA, and if you read anything about IL or FL, you'll know that you're not missing ANYTHING if you tag the "alternate" highpoint. (LA was...mildly interesting, nothing more)

Lastly, for the purists, if you get the 'natural' highpoint...it still counts...

I would appreciate the thoughts of the forum!
I have been to 22 highpoints so far with 5 more to be done this year.

Respond to this message   
Responses

Copyright © 1999-2014 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
RSS Feed For This Forum
Privacy Statement | Network54 Terms and Conditions