News | Summit Trip Reports | Partners | Low Point Reports | Dogs
Summary Topics: E-News Archive | Club News | Accidents | Obituaries | Books | Advisories | Site News

Go to Forum Home  

Criteria

April 10 2006 at 10:06 AM

Olivier Kozlowski  (Login kozesq)

Response to Re: "Alternate" highpoint for IL

The key would be to establish what criteria you'd use. Do you need to reach the absolute highest point, or the highest point accessible to the general public? Maybe a skyscraper has an observation deck that's open to the public, but also a roof that isn't and a tv antenna on top. What "counts?" Then there are the antennae that I mentioned earlier.

Personally I'd like to do the publicly accessible ones as bonuses - kind of like Fort Reno - but I won't count those for anything. I'm also eliminating the antenna, because (presumably) the highest publicly accessible point on those is ground level.

You could also blur the lines with another type of man-made highpoint: the landfill. If memory serves, at least 2 of our HPs have been surpassed by landfills at one time or another. Once they're capped and grassed over, if you don't see the pipes sticking out they look just like many of the rolling hills you see on the way to the "real" highpoints. I think there was even some discussion about whether the actual spot in DE was the result of man-made activities. Hmm, I think I may also need to find a reason to eliminate the need to visit the top of a landfill...

Respond to this message   
Find more forums on Mountain RangesCreate your own forum at Network54
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
RSS Feed For This Forum
Privacy Statement | Network54 Terms and Conditions