News | Summit Trip Reports | Partners | Low Point Reports | Dogs
Summary Topics: E-News Archive | Club News | Accidents | Obituaries | Books | Advisories | Site News

Go to Forum Home  

Here's THE answer!

April 14 2006 at 4:33 PM
Zak  (Login zkmiller)

Response to Re: "Alternate" highpoint for IL

The question really is one of personal accomplishment.
We highpointers feel that we have attained something when we reach a highpoint. For some, it may be the planning to get to BFE, Illinois in order to meet the Wuebbel's arbitrary schedule. For others, such as myself, it's about experiencing America. Seeing the Good and the Bad, the Scenic and the Ugly, for undergoing the physically punishing and for enjoying the relaxing feeling of travel.

EVERY highpoint is temporary when we take a geological perspective of time. Even Mt. Everest will eventually fall.

The highpoint is that point which we short lived humans, in a challenge to get to the current highest point in a state, can claim to 'summit' and gain that feeling of personal accomplishment. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, the highpoint is in the mind of the seeker.

Does it matter if, when I seek to attain the highest point in IL, that I conscientiously object in my own personal way, to a bunch of overprotective cow-farmers?; and, instead, I seek the highest point in the state that is a pile of steel and concrete named "Sears Tower" instead of the pile of dirt and rocks named "Charles Mound"? I think not...it doesn't matter.

In my humble opinion, the high point should be that point that is publicly accessible, that is meant for human standing, that is higher than all others in the state.

I welcome commentary!

(to answer the questions previously posted, in my humble opinion (imho):
1) no, a new higpoint has been made.
2) whichever is then highest.
3) sure!
4)Nothing should stop me (and I would)
5) Doesn't matter, no difference, even a landfill is afterall a hill.
6) Doesn't matter, no difference!
7) That would also be a highpoint!
Highpoints may change with geological activity, human activity, even the anthills of ants to get right down to the nitty-gritty!

Respond to this message   
Responses

• the reality - John M. on Apr 19, 2006
    • ??? - Olivier Kozlowski on Apr 19, 2006

Find more forums on Mountain RangesCreate your own forum at Network54
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
RSS Feed For This Forum
Privacy Statement | Network54 Terms and Conditions