News | Summit Trip Reports | Partners | Low Point Reports | Dogs
Summary Topics: E-News Archive | Club News | Accidents | Obituaries | Books | Advisories | Site News

Go to Forum Home  

Illinois Highpoint

April 19 2006 at 3:01 PM
Joe Borondy  (Login pumpmonkey)

Response to people schmeople

It really seems that this all has gotten out of hand. I visited the the highpoint alst labor day weekend. As advised I asked for permission beforehand via e-mail. The Weubbles could not have been more gracious. They wrote back, gave permission and directions. When I visited, the day was warm and beautiful. The walk while not hard was fun for me and my 14 year old son, as we had time to talk and look around. We met two other highpoints at the "top". This was a good chance to exchange our experiences and offer advice to each other about highpoints we had been to or planned to go to. In the end they convinced us to go on and do Wisconsin and Michigan in the same trip. The highpoint in Illinois is well maintained, they put some chairs out so you can sit and enjoy the view, which is really nice. I just think you are doing the Weubbles a great disservice, it is thier private property, we are guest. Yes, I do think you have to do the natural highpoint, but again it is your own personal list and accomplishment, you are only depriving yourself by not taking in even some on the more bland highpoints. We just completed Sassafras Mountian in SC and this highpoint too is much maligned.
The highpoint and the few are lacking, but the drive to it form Brasstown Bald, GA is fantastic. Don't pass up all these opportunities to see the countryside, there is beauty to behold, but you may have to look a little harder sometimes.

Respond to this message   
Responses

Find more forums on Mountain RangesCreate your own forum at Network54
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
RSS Feed For This Forum
Privacy Statement | Network54 Terms and Conditions