News | Summit Trip Reports | Partners | Low Point Reports | Dogs
Summary Topics: E-News Archive | Club News | Accidents | Obituaries | Books | Advisories | Site News

Go to Forum Home  

welcome to the other side....

April 24 2006 at 6:08 PM
surgent  (Login surgent)

Response to County Highpointing...I Give In

Yes, at one time I was a committed state highpointer until I ran out of states nearby my home to do, so I broke down and became a county HPer, too. Through direct hand-to-hand combat battles (and longevity), I have risen to the role of moderator for cohp@yahoogroups, so although you need to register, it's trivial and you will be summarily approved (the screen is just to keep out the spammers).

The counties offer the same fascinating cross section of peaks and HPs just as the states do, obviously on a smaller and more localized scale. I started light - I had a few in AZ done (my home state) over the years, then realized I had most of the toughies done, so I finished the rest off over a period of a year back in 1999-2000. Like potato chips, you can't stop at one. Once it's in your system, it's consumes you. You can't go on any trip without looking up where the nearby COHPs are!

www.cohp.org houses an incredible repository of trip reports - many down to the fine detail of map minutiae. An excellent resource, as is summitpost.org.

The invitation is open to everyone! At the very least, do the half-dozen counties nearest your home, and see how you feel about the hobby afterwards.

Respond to this message   
Responses

Copyright © 1999-2014 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
RSS Feed For This Forum
Privacy Statement | Network54 Terms and Conditions