News | Summit Trip Reports | Partners | Low Point Reports | Dogs
Summary Topics: E-News Archive | Club News | Accidents | Obituaries | Books | Advisories | Site News

Go to Forum Home  

I found "Noah''s Ark"

June 7 2006 at 12:13 PM
  (Login LynnArave)

Here's another example of the weird shaped and named things out there in the backcountry.
In Southern Utah, off Parowan Canyon and off of U-143 to Cedar Breaks National Monument, in a side Canyon,is a "Noah's Ark" formation, as listed on USGS maps.
There is a 1.5 miles (not 1 mile as the sign states)steep trail to a great viewpoint of this red rock formation, or you can spot it clearly from the Vermillon Castle Picnic area below, where the trail begins
The formation does resemble what an ark could have looked like and it is huge.
Vermillon Castle and Grand Castle formations are also interesting in the area.
Despite the good, but steep trail here. this is one of those paths overlooked in every hiking guide book and tourist mention for that area.
It's also not far from Zion National Park and so there are lots of Biblical named features in southwestern Utah.
Switching subjects, I finally reached Utah's lowest elevation point on this same trip. I found that no previous listings are anywhere near having the correct elevation -- 2,164 feet above sea level --- was my GPS' average reading. (It varied betwen 2154 and 2174.)
That conrasts with the 2,350 foot elevation all Utah tourist sites list and with the 2,000 foot even mark listed on this site.
Outside of using an ATV, this was a four-mile rugged desert walk in the Beaver Dam Wash and was surprisingly hard in the unusually high temperatures for this time of year, the sand and brush.
I bet 2/3rds of the state high points or more are easier to reach than this place is.

Respond to this message   
Responses

• Lowest! - Ben Knorr on Jun 8, 2006
  •  
 Copyright © 1999-2014 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
RSS Feed For This Forum
Privacy Statement | Network54 Terms and Conditions