News | Summit Trip Reports | Partners | Low Point Reports | Dogs
Summary Topics: E-News Archive | Club News | Accidents | Obituaries | Books | Advisories | Site News

Go to Forum Home  

Conscientious Objector

October 2 2006 at 6:03 PM

Daniel Smith  (Login txmountaineer)

Response to Re: You missed TN

By what means is the highpoint cheating? I understand for Kansas, Connecticut, Nevada, Florida, Oklahoma, etc given that the next highest point in the neighboring state is just across the state line, however, Guadalupe Peak is the highest point in the entire Guadalupe Range which stretches (sloping downward, mind you) into NM. In fact, you'd have to go north many miles to Sacramento Peak (NM) to find Guadalupe's parent.

If I wanted to get technical, I'd call New Mexico, Colorado & Oklahoma the cheater highpoint states since their highpoints used to be part of Texas before 1850.

Little known fact: Texas has had the highest point in the United States twice! From 1848-1849, an unnamed 14,440' peak in the unnamed Sawatch range was the highest point of Santa Fe County, Texas after the state was admitted into the Union. For argument's sake, let's call it Mt. Houston! Later, when Texas sold Santa Fe Co to the U.S. for $15M (at which time the land was downgraded from "State" to "Territory", Guadalupe Peak became the highest point in the U.S.

Daniel Smith
aka txmountaineer
aka Mr. Way-Too-Proud-Of-Texas-Guy

Respond to this message   
Responses

Copyright © 1999-2014 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
RSS Feed For This Forum
Privacy Statement | Network54 Terms and Conditions