News | Summit Trip Reports | Partners | Low Point Reports | Dogs
Summary Topics: E-News Archive | Club News | Accidents | Obituaries | Books | Advisories | Site News

Go to Forum Home  

Cheaters have to be within 10 miles of border.

October 3 2006 at 8:19 AM

Doug  (Login Holsti97)

Response to Conscientious Objector

This came about while my wife and I drove into South Carolina to climb Sassafras Mountain. We called Sassafras a cheater since it was close to the North Carolina border and it is 3124 feet smaller than the impressive Mount Mitchell. It became an inside joke with us. I also visited Panorama Point, Nebraska this summer and it is a "cheater" as compared to Mount Elbert and the 55 other 14ers in Colorado. This is a fun list and I have decided that only mountains within 10 miles of the border count as cheaters. Distance to the neighboring State's highpoint is irrelevant. We look at it as if the mountain has a "personality" and decided to sneak over the border in order to become a State highpoint. I also think the cheater needs to be at least 1000 feet smaller than the neighbor. I would not call Clingmans Dome (-41') a cheater since it is a big Eastern states mountain at 6643 feet.

Oh my God! What have I become? I must have hung out with county highpointers in Utah for too long. LOL.

Respond to this message   
Responses

Copyright © 1999-2014 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
RSS Feed For This Forum
Privacy Statement | Network54 Terms and Conditions