News | Summit Trip Reports | Partners | Low Point Reports | Dogs
Summary Topics: E-News Archive | Club News | Accidents | Obituaries | Books | Advisories | Site News

Go to Forum Home  

most-used route

December 2 2006 at 2:41 PM
markv  (Login markvotapek)

Response to Rainier GPS route

More useful than a GPS route, if you're looking for the best way through the glacier, would just be to take off from Camp Muir a little after the RMI parade, following their headlamps. Their groups start out from Muir every (safe) day sometime between midnight and 2 a.m., and they aren't as slow as i'd expect most big guided groups would be. Playing "follow-the-leader" might not be the most challenging way to climb Rainier, but i think it's a better option for getting through the crevasse fields than following a GPS. If you can't navigate it by sight, the weather's gotta be no good for being up there at all.

An obvious good way to use a GPS would be to record your track on the way from Paradise to Camp Muir, in case of a whiteout on your way back to your car. I think it's not uncommon for people wander off route and even sometimes die, even that close to the lodge.

Respond to this message   

Find more forums on Mountain RangesCreate your own forum at Network54
 Copyright © 1999-2015 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
RSS Feed For This Forum
Privacy Statement | Network54 Terms and Conditions