News | Summit Trip Reports | Partners | Low Point Reports | Dogs
Summary Topics: E-News Archive | Club News | Accidents | Obituaries | Books | Advisories | Site News

Go to Forum Home  

most-used route

December 2 2006 at 2:41 PM
markv  (Login markvotapek)

Response to Rainier GPS route

More useful than a GPS route, if you're looking for the best way through the glacier, would just be to take off from Camp Muir a little after the RMI parade, following their headlamps. Their groups start out from Muir every (safe) day sometime between midnight and 2 a.m., and they aren't as slow as i'd expect most big guided groups would be. Playing "follow-the-leader" might not be the most challenging way to climb Rainier, but i think it's a better option for getting through the crevasse fields than following a GPS. If you can't navigate it by sight, the weather's gotta be no good for being up there at all.

An obvious good way to use a GPS would be to record your track on the way from Paradise to Camp Muir, in case of a whiteout on your way back to your car. I think it's not uncommon for people wander off route and even sometimes die, even that close to the lodge.

Respond to this message   
Responses

Copyright © 1999-2014 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
RSS Feed For This Forum
Privacy Statement | Network54 Terms and Conditions