News | Summit Trip Reports | Partners | Low Point Reports | Dogs
Summary Topics: E-News Archive | Club News | Accidents | Obituaries | Books | Advisories | Site News

Go to Forum Home  

Square Inch? Square Foot? Square Yard (Meter)? Square Mile (Kilometer)?

May 11 2007 at 5:47 PM

(Login jaritter)

Response to HP Standard

I look back at the 41 highpoints I've done so far (39 with Nathan, 19 with Marcia) and there's only one over which I'd be really persnickety and quibble...the day we went up to Spruce Knob, WV, they were sandblasting the exterior of the lookout tower and had the area roped off, so we only got to within about 50' of the tower.

Assuming I haul my carcass up Rainier, Granite, Gannett, Hood, Borah, Kings, Humphreys and Boundary, I'll probably make it a point to be excruciatingly correct and make a swing back past WV just so I can claim 48 with a clear conscience. (We'll have to see about McKinley...that's on the list if Rainier goes smoothly.) The rest of 'em, we've stood on, straddled, sat next to, etc., the markers or meandered around the summit area enough to claim 'em. Being the inveterate photographer that I am, documentation is no problem...see the "highpointing" pulldown on my WWW site for all the details.

As for more restrictive "rules," I still like the one guy who insisted that unless you did at least 500' of gain under your own power, it didn't count. I'm not sure he liked it when I asked him whether he was going to charter a boat to take him far enough out in the Gulf of Mexico and rent SCUBA gear so he started 155' under water to walk up 345' Britton Hill in FL.

We've hiked the ones that are hikes, driven to the drive-ups and taken the cog up Mt. Washington (history lesson for Nathan). Been there, done that, need one more western state for my 40 pin. (We've been stormed off Kings, Borah and Humphreys and never got to the Boundary trailhead thanks to a broken car.)

Respond to this message   
 Copyright © 1999-2014 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
RSS Feed For This Forum
Privacy Statement | Network54 Terms and Conditions