News | Summit Trip Reports | Partners | Low Point Reports | Dogs
Summary Topics: E-News Archive | Club News | Accidents | Obituaries | Books | Advisories | Site News

Go to Forum Home  

Mt. Ritter, of Course...

May 16 2007 at 1:36 PM

Alan Ritter  (Login jaritter)

Response to Best non-highpoint climbs

Ok, it's a county HP (Madeira county, CA) but I'll have to vote for my eponymous peak.

The hike from Agnew Meadows up past Shadow Lake and the campsites around Ediza Lake are gorgeous, and you have great views of Mt. Ritter, neighboring Banner Peak and the Minarets, all prime climbing destinations. Ritter and Banner are good 3rd-class scrambles, with quite a bit of snow climbing (ice axe and crampons required) for good measure. The Minarets are real 4th and 5th class rock climbing.

For the easy way up Mt. Ritter, check the route description in my 1999 trip report via the link, above.

Plus, if you drive over to Mammoth Lakes from the Bay Area, you necessarily pass through Yosemite, and there are lots of great hikes and non-technical climbs there...Half Dome, Lempert Dome up in Tuolomne Meadows, the Yosemite Falls trail, and many others. Obviously, if you're into big wall climbs, you have the face of Half Dome, and el Capitan to tempt you, as well.

Respond to this message   
 Copyright © 1999-2014 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
RSS Feed For This Forum
Privacy Statement | Network54 Terms and Conditions