News | Summit Trip Reports | Partners | Low Point Reports | Dogs
Summary Topics: E-News Archive | Club News | Accidents | Obituaries | Books | Advisories | Site News

Go to Forum Home  

Backbone Mtn., MD directions

June 17 2007 at 10:16 PM
markv  (Login markvotapek)

I visited MD and PA a couple of days ago in very thick fog and mist. I was passing through from NY to Chicago (via a route only a highpointer would take), and i didn't have time for the big hike up WV's prominence that i want/need/will do another time. But anyway, finding the MD highpoint "trailhead" was NOT an easy no-brainer. In 37 highpoints for me, this is the first one i had a hard time locating via web directions and an ordinary highway map. Maybe it was just the fog and the predawn darkness, but this might help someone else in those conditions:

When approaching Backbone Mtn. from the north, you will go through the town of Silver Lake. You get to an intersection of sorts, with Backbone Ridge road on the left and the World's Smallest Church on the right. From that point, drive .65 (maybe closer to .6) miles further. There is an unmarked dirt pullout on the left. That's the road/trail. On the back of a h ighway sign "MD" is spray painted on, but in the dark it doesn't show up, and there is no other indication. Likewise, the "HP" spray painted on some of the trees on the way up don't show up in the dark either. Just keep following the most-cleared road uphill until you get to a fork. There are 2 large cairns on the left. Take that fork. Again, i didn't see any signs. After that, you'll get to another fork with signs and then a few steps later the highpoint.

This might be in all the guidebooks, but for the rest of us, i hope this helps.

No trip report other than that. They were deserted, eerie, and with no views. I did about a 4-mile loop on Mt. Davis, PA, that was ok but very wet. I took Shelter Rock Rd to Shelter Rock Tr. to Mt. Davis Tr. to the highpoint and up the fire tower. On the way down i took the Highpoint Trail. 13 to go...

h.h.!

Respond to this message   
Responses

Copyright © 1999-2014 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
RSS Feed For This Forum
Privacy Statement | Network54 Terms and Conditions