News | Summit Trip Reports | Partners | Low Point Reports | Dogs
Summary Topics: E-News Archive | Club News | Accidents | Obituaries | Books | Advisories | Site News

Go to Forum Home  

1st Timer's Thoughts on HP Konvention

July 31 2007 at 10:59 AM

(Login Holsti97)

Congratulations to Jim Sutton and the Board on hosting a great Konvention in Wisconsin! It was the first time that our family attended a HP Konvention. We greatly enjoyed meeting and hiking with other Highpointers. The party at Stevens Point Brewery was nice. I heard good things about the dairy farm and Harley Davidson tours. The county highpointing trips were a great success despite meeting an ornery landowner in Jackson County. Timms Hill was HP #24 for me.

I would like to suggest some changes for the banquet. The meal was good and Don Holmes is a great MC. The door prizes from Chessler Books are wonderful. However, I felt sorry for Don having to read ticket numbers through the entire meal and not having a chance to eat his own meal. It was also hard to hear the number which he read at times. Would it be possible to draw the numbers before the banquet and then post them on a screen 5-at-a-time using Power Point until the door prizes are gone? That would allow Don to eat and the members would be sure that it was their number that was called.

Congratulations to Robert Hyman and Nikki Hemphill on winning the Vin Hoeman Award. I was confused that Robert gave an acceptance speech, but Nikki's honor was followed by handing out certificates of appreciation to about 50 other people in attendance. That seemed to stall the banquet and took away from Nikki's honor. An awards banquet should make a big deal about the big awards. Those other certificates could have been mailed out.

My biggest disappointment was that the new 48 and 50 Completers were not recognized enough. They were just called up as a group and then a group photo was taken. To complete 48 or 50 Highpoints is a BIG accomplishment if you are a Highpointer. This should be the main focus of the Awards Banquet. Honor these people. Call them up one at a time by name. Give them a plaque. Let them give a brief speech. If you know that they are coming to the Konvention you could even ask for 4 or 5 photos that could be put on a Powerpoint presentation. What was their 1st Highpoint? What was their last HP? How many did they have to attempt more than once? That would be interesting to me and others.

Once again...we had a great time and it was fun to meet the people we read about in the Apex to Zenith magazine or on the internet. I would welcome any comments on my suggestions.

Respond to this message   
Responses

Copyright © 1999-2014 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
RSS Feed For This Forum
Privacy Statement | Network54 Terms and Conditions