News | Summit Trip Reports | Partners | Low Point Reports | Dogs
Summary Topics: E-News Archive | Club News | Accidents | Obituaries | Books | Advisories | Site News

Go to Forum Home  

Indices

January 22 2008 at 8:52 PM
Steve Gruhn  (Login SteveGruhn)

Response to Appalachia

Well, thanks anyway, Mohamed.

If there are others out there who might be able to help or provide index (or indices) information, I'd really appreciate it. I AM interested in the older Appalachias, perhaps moreso than the recent ones. I think a lot of the pertinent data from recent mountaineering expeditions in Alaska is covered in the AAJ (which dates to 1929) or Scree (which dates to 1958), but some of the historical data is only covered in Appalachia. For example, the first recorded ascent (FRA) of Makushin Volcano on Unalaska Island was covered in the June 1884 Appalachia. The June 1949 Appalachia covered the FRA of Mount James K. Lowder in the Coast Mountains. The December 1955 Appalachia covered the FRAs of Mount Drum in the Wrangell Mountains and Mount McCall and University Peak in the Saint Elias Mountains. Lawrence Nielsen had some articles in the December 1955 (FRAs of Mount Elusive, Mount Fafnir, Pandora Peak, and Mount Powder Top), December 1957 (FRAs of Mount Einstein, Mount Valhalla, and Mount Witherspoon), and December 1966 (FRAs of Mount Dech and Mount Doo-see) issues of Appalachia that covered notable expeditions in the Chugach and Saint Elias Mountains. The December 1957 Appalachia covered the FRA of Mount Michelson in the Brooks Range. The June 1962 Appalachia detailed the FRA of Black Cap in The Alaska Range. The June 1963 Appalachia covered the FRAs of Lituya Mountain and Mount Quincy Adams in the Saint Elias Mountains. The FRAs of Mount Chamberlin in the Brooks Range and the East Buttress of Mount McKinley in the Alaska Range were documented in the December 1963 Appalachia. The FRA of Burkett Needle in the Coast Mountains was reported in the December 1964 Appalachia. The June 1972 Appalachia documented the FRA of The Badile and Shot Tower in the Brooks Range. The FRA of the South Peak of Mount Abbe in the Saint Elias Mountains was covered in the December 1977 Appalachia. The FRAs of Mount Cheops and Snow Bird Peak in the Alaska Range were mentioned in the June 1978 Appalachia.

With so many notable Alaska climbs documented in the few issues of this publication that I've reviewed, I'd love to find a repository of back issues to peruse more of them. I suspect that there might be some more notable Alaskan climbs documented therein.

And yes, Mohamed, I do recall our twilight return to the trailhead after reaching the summit of Mount Washington. I'm meeting up with my cousin again in February. Despite all the crowds, that was a neat trip - and my first HP with someone I'd met on this site. Thanks to both you and Stony.

Respond to this message   
Responses

Copyright © 1999-2014 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
RSS Feed For This Forum
Privacy Statement | Network54 Terms and Conditions