News | Summit Trip Reports | Partners | Low Point Reports | Dogs
Summary Topics: E-News Archive | Club News | Accidents | Obituaries | Books | Advisories | Site News

Go to Forum Home  

Reputed location accuracy

February 13 2008 at 2:45 PM
Roger Williams  (Login rogerac)

Response to GPS Accuracy

Besides the Russian GLONASS, the Europeans are supposed to be building a completely superfluous Galileo system. Dunno what Glonass is worth.

I read someplace that that 4-Corners monument is misplaced. It's on the Navajo Nation reservation and there's a toll gate, off US-160, as well as a lot of booths selling Indian handicrafts. The brass strip running through Flamsteed House, the Old Royal Observatory, in Greenwich by London, that shows the Prime Meridian, Long. 0, is also supposed to be out by 100 m. or so. Odd. The 180 Meridian, opposite, runs through Taveuni in Fiji; I haven't been there so don't know if it's marked. Can't walk from Su. to Mon. as they cheated and bent the International Date Line around the islands. I wonder how accurate the "Mitado del Mundo" monument in Ecuador and a sign for the Equator in Kenya are; I've been past the latter on a bus. Also one for the Tropic of Capricorn just S. of Rockhampton Qld. 4700.

Finally, I wonder how long. is determined on other bodies. You have to pick a prime or 0 meridian, so I wonder what this is. Latitude, of course, is determined by the object's spin.

Respond to this message   
 Copyright © 1999-2014 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
RSS Feed For This Forum
Privacy Statement | Network54 Terms and Conditions