News | Summit Trip Reports | Partners | Low Point Reports | Dogs
Summary Topics: E-News Archive | Club News | Accidents | Obituaries | Books | Advisories | Site News

Go to Forum Home  

Distracted from Highpointing (not all bad)

April 5 2008 at 4:23 AM
markv  (Login markvotapek)

I feel guilty. After a few years of excited interest, i've let my membership slide, i only check americasroof once a month, and egads i haven't summitted or even planned a highpoint since Gannett last July. I think finally getting that one felt like an ending.

So why am i whining about it here? Well, thanks to you guys, i'm pretty hooked on hiking now. My very first backpacking trip was to get the highpoint of Utah, and gradually that led me to where i am now: about to embark (in 4 weeks) on a 5 month backpack of the Pacific Crest Trail. 2700 miles. Will i finish? Pretty doubtful, but i'm giving it a try. So Mark S, Ellozy, Olivier, Alan, Roger, Roger, Doug, and all the rest, thanks for the help and comraderie over the years. I may not have ever hiked if it weren't for silly (not really silly) highpoints, and for this site's members telling me what to do. (Big thumbs up to Wickersham for his weblink from here about doing Kings Peak as a 5-day loop. That got my imagination working towards my own loop.)

If you want to follow my Pacific Crest Trail journey, my journal will be updated at http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?trailname=6816 . On average, i expect my entries to make it up with about a one week delay, and the pictures anywhere from 1 to 3 weeks delay. I've actually already started the hike, since i did the first 110 miles of desert hiking from the Mexico border in winter time, to sort of test whether i'd want to do the whole thing. So there are entries up already for my first 7 days or so, and pictures.

Maybe i'll feel like finishing my last 12 highpoints after a little while. I'll be skipping Whitney as i walk within sight of it, since i've already been up that one. But in the name of the Highpointers, i promise to go out of my way to summit at least a couple of county highpoints. And if i get hurt or bored and quit early, i'll head home and start making plans to attend the convention instead. Happy highpointing!

Respond to this message   
Responses

Copyright © 1999-2014 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
RSS Feed For This Forum
Privacy Statement | Network54 Terms and Conditions