News | Summit Trip Reports | Partners | Low Point Reports | Dogs
Summary Topics: E-News Archive | Club News | Accidents | Obituaries | Books | Advisories | Site News

Go to Forum Home  

Downhill hiking leg "shaking" at Yosemite Falls

May 7 2009 at 11:20 AM
Lynn Arave  (Login LynnArave)

As I've gotten older and especially the past few months, I've noticed that on steep hikes I am OK going uphill, but not downhill.
I never expected this problem, but my legs tend to shake or tremble now as I descend steep downhill stretches when I'm tired.
My latest episode was hiking Yosemite Falls last week.
No one passed me going up the steep 3.2 mile trail that climbs almost 3,000 feet, but going downhill my legs would not respond well and kept shaking, a bad thing on a trail with many rock stairs covered with loose dirt and gravel, some of it wet.
I got down OK, but felt I had to jog at times to keep my legs under control. I came down pretty fast and still passed a lot of people.
Does anyone out there have a similar problem?
I'm thinking one or two hiking poles might be the only solution to help ease my braking.
By the way, I thought that was a great trail, Yosemite Falls, with lots of shade, mist, rainbows and views.
It's one of those non-highpoints that's well worth doing.

Respond to this message   
Responses

Copyright © 1999-2014 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
RSS Feed For This Forum
Privacy Statement | Network54 Terms and Conditions