News | Summit Trip Reports | Partners | Low Point Reports | Dogs
Summary Topics: E-News Archive | Club News | Accidents | Obituaries | Books | Advisories | Site News

Go to Forum Home  

Woodall Mtn.

May 8 2009 at 1:24 PM
  (Login StonyBurk)

Response to Mississippi - The Great Disappointment

Woodall Mtn. is a privately owned mountain as part of a family lumber business. It has been that way for a hundred years or more. The owners are great folks and were very gracious when I visited with them several years ago. They gave me a grand tour of the local town and surrounding countryside, then we drove up to the summit. They provided a great history of the mountain and shared their fond memories of nights spent in a cabin that used to be on the summit that their uncle had built.
The mountain as you are aware if you've been there is used for state and local tower use as well as their family operations. The road is always open for the locals and hunting clubs as well as visitors who wish to stand on the states highest point. Granted, their is sometimes litter and signs of vandalism up there. It's a great place for the local kids to hang out. Perhaps better there than getting into trouble somewhere else.
Several of us in the club have talked with these pleasant folks since my first visit about helping out in someway to improve the overall look or place some signs of some kind. They are actually somewhat surprised to learn that people from all over the country have such an avid interest in their little old local mountain.
The Highpointers Club Konvention is going to be held in MS next year and the owners will be our guests. I'm sure by then we'll have an opportunity to work more closely with them.
In the meantime, please realize that every highpoint is unique and individual in its own way. What would we accomplish there by trying to will it into a state or federal run facility with paved roads, a toll booth and a souvenir or gift shop at the summit?
Stony

Respond to this message   
Responses

Copyright © 1999-2014 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
RSS Feed For This Forum
Privacy Statement | Network54 Terms and Conditions