tOfficial 2009 End of Year Highpointing ThreadDecember 12 2009 at 2:28 AM
|markv (Login markvotapek)|
In honor of americasroof being back in full throttle, i'm starting the annual end-o-the-year thread.
What highpoints did you summit in 2009? What highlights? What are the plans for 2010???
As for me, i scored #39 in June, climbing Wheeler Peak, NM. I'll eventually add a write-up to the trip reports forum, but suffice it to say i HIGHLY recommend taking the slightly longer ridge route over just going up and down from Williams Lake. The lake was ok, but the ridge was much nicer.
Also i managed to climb Mt. Adams in Washington, which is surely the county highpoint of some county or another. But really that's all i did. After the PCT in 2008, 2009 was more of a work year than a highpoint year.
For 2010, who knows. I'm toying with finding my way up Granite Peak. I bought the -40 degree sleeping bag i'll need for Denali, but that's the only step i've taken, so that's probably still in the distant future if at all. I want to keep plugging away, since 39 is too close to 50 to stall forever. In the meantime on Monday, i'm hiking up Mt. Lemmon (another county highpoint) from the city of Tucson, all 24 miles and 7,000' of it, and then biking down. Or i guess i should say i'm attempting to. This 40-year-old body might not quite make it that far.
Happy New Year, and let's hear about your HP stories...
- P.s. - markv on Dec 12, 2009
- ... and then there were 5 - Mark S on Dec 12, 2009
- Another Oh-fer... - Alan Ritter on Dec 12, 2009
- 2009-2010 - joe miner on Dec 13, 2009
- A good year for me... - Redwic on Dec 14, 2009
- Only RI - John on Dec 14, 2009
- Only Peat and Repeats This Year - Stony Burk on Dec 28, 2009
- Re: tOfficial 2009 End of Year Highpointing Thread - Anonymous on Jan 4, 2010
- Re: tOfficial 2009 End of Year Highpointing Thread - Midwest Alpinist on Jan 5, 2010
- Finally Finished Seven Summits - Bruce Parker on Jan 11, 2010
- Mark S. in nl, Midwest Alpinist contact - John M on Feb 23, 2010