News | Summit Trip Reports | Partners | Low Point Reports | Dogs
Summary Topics: E-News Archive | Club News | Accidents | Obituaries | Books | Advisories | Site News

Go to Forum Home  

tOfficial 2009 End of Year Highpointing Thread

December 12 2009 at 2:28 AM
  (Login markvotapek)

In honor of americasroof being back in full throttle, i'm starting the annual end-o-the-year thread.

What highpoints did you summit in 2009? What highlights? What are the plans for 2010???

As for me, i scored #39 in June, climbing Wheeler Peak, NM. I'll eventually add a write-up to the trip reports forum, but suffice it to say i HIGHLY recommend taking the slightly longer ridge route over just going up and down from Williams Lake. The lake was ok, but the ridge was much nicer.

Also i managed to climb Mt. Adams in Washington, which is surely the county highpoint of some county or another. But really that's all i did. After the PCT in 2008, 2009 was more of a work year than a highpoint year.

For 2010, who knows. I'm toying with finding my way up Granite Peak. I bought the -40 degree sleeping bag i'll need for Denali, but that's the only step i've taken, so that's probably still in the distant future if at all. I want to keep plugging away, since 39 is too close to 50 to stall forever. In the meantime on Monday, i'm hiking up Mt. Lemmon (another county highpoint) from the city of Tucson, all 24 miles and 7,000' of it, and then biking down. Or i guess i should say i'm attempting to. This 40-year-old body might not quite make it that far.

Happy New Year, and let's hear about your HP stories...

Respond to this message   
Responses

Copyright © 1999-2014 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
RSS Feed For This Forum
Privacy Statement | Network54 Terms and Conditions