News | Summit Trip Reports | Partners | Low Point Reports | Dogs
Summary Topics: E-News Archive | Club News | Accidents | Obituaries | Books | Advisories | Site News

Go to Forum Home  

Anyone interested in attempting Kings Peak (UT) 8/31/12 for 3 days?

March 31 2012 at 11:50 PM
Steve R  (Login stever500)

Hi,

I don't want to try this by myself since it could be 3 days of hiking (10 per day?) and I've never gone this far to a high point, requires knowing how to find the summit (I get lost easily pretty much anywhere) and ... bottom line, I just wouldn't do it alone.

I'm attempting Mt Hood on June 5th with Timberline Mountain Guides which would be #44 and this would be #45 for Kings Peak if I made them both.

Any takers? I'm 51, in fairly good shape, haven't backpacked in years but I did it up Mt Whitney and made it 5 years or so ago while my friend didn't get past 4 miles and his boots caused bloody sores on his heels so he turned around. And, I would appreciate the company.

I plan to go to the Konvention in June but don't want to wait that long to meet somewhere there that may be interested since I want to get a plane ticket further in advance if possible.

I thought Labor Day Weekend would be a good bet since it may be more crowded and we'd see more people who may know the trail and where the top is if we got lost. I'd be flying from Md. on August 30th, Thursday into Salt Lake City, drive to the trail head area or somewhere near it and start hiking early Friday morning. Saturday would be the Kings Peak attempt day and then walk back Sunday (unless we had the extreme energy to walk back after the hike to the top on Saturday which I doubt).

Fly home Monday am, Labor Day.

Are the mosquitos still pretty awful this time of year? Is there a better time to go when the bugs aren't super bad? I don't do winter hiking, have no technical rock climbing skills or crampons and am afraid of heights - but none of my hikes yet really played into my extreme fear of heights (such as Chicken Out Ridge in ID - haven't tried that one yet).

Anyone? Thoughts? Suggestions?

Regards,
Steve R
Gaithersburg, MD.

Respond to this message   
Responses

Copyright © 1999-2014 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
RSS Feed For This Forum
Privacy Statement | Network54 Terms and Conditions