News | Summit Trip Reports | Partners | Low Point Reports | Dogs
Summary Topics: E-News Archive | Club News | Accidents | Obituaries | Books | Advisories | Site News

Go to Forum Home  

Granite Peak SW Couloir Variant

August 15 2012 at 8:51 AM

Alan Ritter  (Login jaritter)

Steve Eckert, of climber.org fame, recently climbed Granite peak (solo!) and found a variant on the SW Couloir route that works even better as a 3rd-class route to the summit. I'm posting this link to Steve's report with his permission.

I've known Steve remotely for years, as we consulted on my multifarious attempts on my eponymous peak in the Sierra, but we had never met in person. A few years ago when I was trying to solo Borah Peak (and got off-route and cliffed out, oops), I was headed back down the ridge and started talking to a fellow climber who was hiking up as I was headed down. I mentioned that I was from St. Louis and he asked, "you're not Alan Ritter, are you?" Turns out it was Steve...he put St. Louis and my Highpointers Club T-shirt together. So, what are the odds that a couple of guys, one from CA and one from MO, cross paths on the trail up Borah Peak on some random Friday in August??? Small world...

I'll definitely try Steve's variant on the SW Couloir route sometime in the next couple of years...

Respond to this message   
Responses

Find more forums on Mountain RangesCreate your own forum at Network54
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
RSS Feed For This Forum
Privacy Statement | Network54 Terms and Conditions