News | Summit Trip Reports | Partners | Low Point Reports | Dogs
Summary Topics: E-News Archive | Club News | Accidents | Obituaries | Books | Advisories | Site News

Go to Forum Home  

2014 Year-End Highpointing Accomplishments

November 28 2014 at 3:27 AM
markv  (Login markvotapek)

HaHA! All (four) of you assumed i'd only remember to start this thread around December 15th, but this year i'm on it early.

Tell us what 2014 highpoints you reached and how, or which ones you will do in the next 34 days, along with your plans/dreams for 2015. As long as there are a few of us old fogeys and some crickets, we want to know!

I'll go first. I summitted my #45 this year, the lofty pinnacle of Black Mesa, OK. I had business in Louisville and lived in Tucson. Only to a highpointer does that mean a car trip instead of a flight. It's not like i'd ever have any better itinerary for including the panhandle of Oklahoma. The Merc was closed when i was there, but the b&b there was very nice, comfy, and friendly, the hike was actually pretty kewl (especially if you go past the highpoint to the edge of the mesa), and it felt good to make some actual progress towards #50. That's the only state highpoint i did this year, but i did climb Mt. Mcloughlin, OR which i'm pretty sure is a county highpoint. I also moved to San Francisco and am doing lots of hiking around here and in the Sierra.

For 2015 who knows. I may do half of the Continental Divide Trail. There is a tiny, minute chance i'll decide soon to make a go at Denali in June. But most likely at this point 49 will be my limit. We'll see. I still have MT, WV, MN, and FL to go. All very out of the way.

How about you?

p.s. One of these days we'll get spellcheck to accept "highpointing" as a word...

Happy Thanksgiving, Hannukah, Christmas, and whatever other holidays matter to you, and an early Happy Highpointing New Year 2015.

-markv

Respond to this message   
Responses

Find more forums on Mountain RangesCreate your own forum at Network54
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
RSS Feed For This Forum
Privacy Statement | Network54 Terms and Conditions