News | Summit Trip Reports | Partners | Low Point Reports | Dogs
Summary Topics: E-News Archive | Club News | Accidents | Obituaries | Books | Advisories | Site News

Go to Forum Home  

Still nothing new

November 29 2014 at 8:57 AM
PJ  (Login plockwoo)

Response to 2014 Year-End Highpointing Accomplishments

I've been at 36 for the 14th year in a row, but I still plan to finish. We have Denali, Mt Hood and a whole lot of Midwestern high points left.

My wife and I are just starting to do serious hiking trips again as the kids get older. We did Telescope Peak from Shorty's Well in Death Valley last month. It's the kind of hike a highpointer would love. Start at almost the lowest point in North America--250 feet below sea level--and hike to over 11,000 feet and back in the same day. A true nut would start at Badwater, which is across the Valley and 30 ft lower, but we didn't want to add five miles of hiking on salt flats to the trip.

We've done a long day hike that in the fall the last few years. We did the Grand Canyon rim to rim to rim (twice) and Cactus to the Clouds in 2011-2013. I think I can sell my wife on a trip to Arkansas this winter-spring to run the 20 mile trail on Magazine Mountain. That would be a good way to finally get back to high pointing. Has anyone done that trail?

Respond to this message   
Responses

Find more forums on Mountain RangesCreate your own forum at Network54
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
RSS Feed For This Forum
Privacy Statement | Network54 Terms and Conditions