News | Summit Trip Reports | Partners | Low Point Reports | Dogs
Summary Topics: E-News Archive | Club News | Accidents | Obituaries | Books | Advisories | Site News

Go to Forum Home  

Re-Visited 8 state HPs in 2014

February 2 2015 at 4:52 PM
Dave Covill  (Login DaveCOLORADO)

Response to 2014 Year-End Highpointing Accomplishments

In the course of peakbagging around America, I was fortunate to be able to re-visit 11 state HPs in 2014:

DE (DC)

I visited here in April with my nephew Wiley Gibson, during a Washington DC vacation. I was able to summit lofty Point Reno then as well, my first time there if you can believe that.

SD, ND, IA, NE

These were in the course of visits in May on behalf of the HP Foundation and checking on Projects we have underway.

NM, OK

These were with my nephew Chase Gibson of MA, who visited me in CO in July, and we were originally set to climb Mt Elbert here, but a change of plans saw us off to Black Mesa then Wheeler Peak. I was quite pleased to see the terrific trail maintenance at the Williams Lake Trail; it is much nicer than years ago. I haven't actually been near the place since the NM-94 Konvention, and before that in 1982, so it had been a while!

GA, SC, KY

These were while we were at the TN-14 Konvention, with my wife Beckie and my good buddy Roy Wallen. We witnessed first-hand the levelling of the top at Sassafras, and enjoyed a cloudy vista practically to ourselves late in the day at Brasstown. Black Mtn approach road is a bit rutted but not too bad, and might make for a nice Foundation Project to help out with that.

CA

With CO friends I made it up Whitney via the Mountaineers Route in September, also visiting Russell, Muir, Langley and Keelers Needle. I have about half the CA 14ers, depending on how you count them. I do not recommend this ugly scree slog in summer, it would be a nice couloir climb in May.

I don't have any concrete plans for state HPs in 2015, although I intend to attempt Granite Peak in MT with friends in early August 2016 during the MT-16 Konvention.

I can not recall being to 11 state HPs in a single year in a very long while, perhaps ever?

FYI - I lack only 7 states for a full repeat of the 50.

AK,WY,ID,NY,WV,FL,LA

This is quite a project, and my hat is off to those who have done so (Whit Rambach, John Mueller, Kenny Pokora). I am in no hurry to do this, but it seems to be happening despite any efforts on my part to deny it....

Klimb ( and drive! ) Safely on your highpointing adventures !!!

Respond to this message   
Find more forums on Mountain RangesCreate your own forum at Network54
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
RSS Feed For This Forum
Privacy Statement | Network54 Terms and Conditions