News | Summit Trip Reports | Partners | Low Point Reports | Dogs
Summary Topics: E-News Archive | Club News | Accidents | Obituaries | Books | Advisories | Site News

Go to Forum Home  

The Kompletely Official 2015 Year-End Highpointing Accomplishments Thread

December 7 2015 at 10:29 PM
markv  (Login markvotapek)

Happy Holidays to you all. I've put off starting this thread a little bit this year because i wanted to include with it a trip report. But at my rate of procrastination, that trip report won't happen soon enough. So here is the thread anyway.

Please report in! We want to know what you climbed in 2015, how it went, and what your dreams and aspirations are for highpointing in 2016.

I knocked off a tough one this year. Actually, i can say it's the hardest physical thing i've done in my life. Harder than 2 complete PCT thru-hikes, harder than climbing Gannett. In August, my wife and i successfully summitted Granite Peak, MT via the SW Couloir (or SW Ramp) route. The approach was great, but the climb was a beast. I've always been more at ease with glacier climbing than i am on vertical rock, so this was going to be my toughest highpoint regardless. But what made it so difficult, and frankly way way too dangerous, was that it snowed on the mountain for 2 days before our climb. We had a narrow window of possible days to climb, so when the skies finally began to lighten a little bit in the late morning, we went for it. Our summit day involved some Class 4 on rock that had snow on it or snowmelt rushing off of it, which made for some dicey spots. We summitted at 5pm (!!), started our descent at 5:30, and made it off the vertical before dark, and back at camp at about 9:00. It's pretty much a miracle we didn't at least get hurt up there, and my wife had a lot to do with us making it ok. More in the trip report if/when i get it done. Anyway, i'm at #46 at age 46, with only WV, FL, MN, and AK to go.

I also had a nice climb of South Sister in Oregon, which is a county highpoint, managing to get up there before sunrise and having the summit to myself for a whole hour before crossing paths with literally 100 other hikers while i descended.

Aside from highpointing, i had a great time playing concerts on a 5-day Colorado River Raft Trip. Yes, concerts on a raft trip, including playing ON THE RAFT.

For 2016 i have no specific highpointing plans. Denali looms. I'm pretty sure i'm going to let it loom at least for another year, maybe permanently.

That's all from me. How about you?

Respond to this message   
Responses

Find more forums on Mountain RangesCreate your own forum at Network54
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
RSS Feed For This Forum
Privacy Statement | Network54 Terms and Conditions