News | Summit Trip Reports | Partners | Low Point Reports | Dogs
Summary Topics: E-News Archive | Club News | Accidents | Obituaries | Books | Advisories | Site News

Go to Forum Home  

Re: Untitled

January 2 2017 at 8:22 PM
Stony Burk  (Login StonyBurk)

Response to Untitled

Steve, I've known you since we did Frissell So. Slope together a few years back and you told me then of your fear of heights. I've been totally amazed at your fortitude to continue climbing, knowing full well that you would have to face some exposure on the bigger peaks but you persevered. In your post you mentioned being '55 and not having it in you' and to that I would say, age isn't necessarily a factor. I'm 70 and some of my friends are in their 80's and they rock climb like there is no tomorrow; so don't let that be an excuse. There are coaches and even hypnotists that can address your fear of heights and help you overcome that anxiety. Learn to face your fears, work through them. It'll make you even stronger than you already are. The SW Coulior was easy for me but I might have been there with just the right conditions. The exposure wasn't much more difficult than Borah, Boundary or Katahdin. The accidents of 2016 were unfortunate and some guides are hesitant to take clients on that route since sometimes crowded conditions and rockfall and loose scree can make for hazardous conditions. However, I'm sure people will continue to attempt that route. Talk with a few guide services and see how they feel about it. Denali of course, has it's own set of conditions, but you could certainly still consider it with some more training. You're not that old yet:)

Respond to this message   
Responses

Find more forums on Mountain RangesCreate your own forum at Network54
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
RSS Feed For This Forum
Privacy Statement | Network54 Terms and Conditions