News | Summit Trip Reports | Partners | Low Point Reports | Dogs
Summary Topics: E-News Archive | Club News | Accidents | Obituaries | Books | Advisories | Site News

Go to Forum Home  

Thanks Stony

January 3 2017 at 12:03 AM
Steve R  (Login stever500)

Response to Re: Untitled

Maybe I will consider it then... I never talked with Jackson Hole Mountain Guides about this, only Beartooth. It wouldn't hurt to talk this through with others in the off season like the winter.

I guess I could go to Earthtreks Climbing Center as well in the spring and consider this again:

https://www.earthtreksclimbing.com/md-va/rockville/

I panicked the first time there and simply gave up since there was no compelling reason in my head to go up higher than about 10-12 feet. I came right back down, totally freaked by the height in this indoor gym.

I have bad knees now, had surgery on both and it didn't work. The fixed the meniscus tear, but still had pain after. Arthritic pain. They said I need a knee replacement but I'm not ready for that yet. I'd rather hike and live in pain than deal with that. For now at least. I can bare the pain. Since I never even made it to the mountain itself, I didn't really give it a fair shot, either. If I get to the mountain and THEN decide to turn back 1/4 or 1/2 the way up or 3/4 the way up, then I at least would feel more comfortable with the whole "quitting at 48 thing".

I'm not a great quitter though. I'm ridiculously competitive in most ever aspect of my life. I think about Granite Peak every day. Maybe I should try it again with a group of people instead of just me and the guide. It's a lot easier to turn around if it's just me and a guide. Also, it was a 5' 3" woman guide last summer which for some reason made it easier to not go on. But if it's small group of 1-3 others, there's peer pressure. I'm someone that needs pressure put on me to do these scary things. I never would have kept going up Gannett if it was just me and a guide I don't think. Instead, it was a group of 4 of us. I didn't want to fail in front of the 3 others in my group of highpointers (peak baggers).

Stuff to think about. I really appreciate your words and thoughts.

Steve R

Respond to this message   
Find more forums on Mountain RangesCreate your own forum at Network54
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
RSS Feed For This Forum
Privacy Statement | Network54 Terms and Conditions